Build with IDX Broker Forums Enhancement Requests Duplicate Page Titles

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

It appears that all of the /idx/photogallery pages and all of the “canned” search pages from the /idx/sitemap page yield duplicate page titles when a site is audited with SEMRush or screamingfrog. For a decent size MLS, this results in thousands of duplicate page titles. Many of those same pages crawled from the /idx/sitemap page also yield duplicate meta page descriptions. I don’t know how much of a negative impact, if any, this has on site ranking. Competitive local realtor sites that feature the same MLS listings with internal data (all MLS data FTP’d down to the host CMS) so that there are no CNAME urls i.e. http://CNAME.maindomain.com/idx/pagename are doing better in SERP rankings.

There may well be other site optimization issues that have nothing to do with IDXBroker or even more optimal ways for me to set up the SEO variables in the IDXBroker control panel. I am wondering however if the many duplicate page titles and page descriptions might be a factor, and if there is a way we could inject dynamic data into the page titles and page descriptions as we are able to do for detail pages.

0 ratings, 0 votes0 ratings, 0 votes (0 rating, 0 votes, rated)
      You need to be a registered member to rate this post.
    • Nick Leech
      Keymaster

Brian,

We have an Enhancement request open to allow photo gallery pages to get unique titles like the details pages.

I do not have any feature requests in for the sitemap links but I can look into that.

• Brian Brewer
      Participant

To fully resolve the duplicate page title and page description issues which as I am learning do impact SERP, we need to be able to have or preferably inject custom tags into the gallery pages as well as all of the pages linked from the sitemap and all of the listing pages for each agent linked from the roster page. This would eliminate virtually all of the duplicate page titles and page descriptions.

I think this is an important request in terms of boosting SERP for IXDB powered sites. I am happy to provide a screaming frog URI report that demonstrates the extent of the duplicate page title and page description issue if that wold be helpful.

• IDX Leads
      Participant

I respectfully disagree with you Brian. You already have all of the necessary dynamic title and meta available on the listing details page and if you are using it properly it too would become duplicate content on the photo gallery page should such an enhancement be adopted.

As far as the html sitemap goes, I no index, no follow it because it’s total garbage. The xml sitemap is a viable alternative and already exists.

• Brian Brewer
      Participant

IDX leads – wouldn’t that depend on the tags which could be injected into the photo gallery pages? One unique tag and/or static word/phrase in conjunction with the same types of dynamic tags already present in the details page would in my mind allow us to make the photo gallery page titles and descriptions unique (from each other and the details pages). Even taking the sitemap pages out of the equation, there are still a number of pages with duplicate page title and page descriptions, e.g. listings for each agent from the roster page. In your experience, is that a problem from an SEO perspective or a nit in the overall scope of things?

• IDX Leads
      Participant

Actually on thinking it through a little longer I agree that there would not necessarily be duplicate title and meta content. Changing anything would eliminate that.

I share your concern and I use no index to avoid duplicate title and meta weighing a site down. The strategy that I have had the most success with is to use fully optimized saved links results to present fully optimized listing details pages. If you can get that working you really don’t need that much other IDX content to be indexable. Especially the content where optimization options are limited or don’t exist, and may actually be working against you.

• Brian Brewer
      Participant

Back to your previous point about the sitemap and deferring to the sitemap.xml – I had a couple of my IDXB sites frogged last night just using the the sitemap.xml and ignoring the non-xml sitemap. Still lots of duplicate page titles/descriptions. If you follow the xml sitemap down the tree, you end up in the same place you would following the non-xml sitemap e.g. Lots & Land Properties for Sale in some city, CA Between $300,000 – $400,000 or Lots & Land Properties for Sale in some city, CA Between $400,000 – $500,000, etc. Each of those “canned” search pages have duplicate page titles/descriptions.

I don’t know how to measure or quantify the SEO impact of the duplicates, but I’m assuming it would be better if we didn’t have the duplicates and better still if we could make each unique and meaningful from a keyword standpoint.

Other than no indexing pages, can we just omit the “canned search” pages selectively or all together in favor of the saved search pages where we have total control? Perhaps that’s a bad idea, but it would at least provide an opportunity for a head/head test of both methods to see if less is more from a SERP standpoint.

• IDX Leads
      Participant

You can selectively submit parts of the xml sitemap to google. For instance just the link that maps the listing details pages, but I have never had much success with that. I use the whole thing in most situations. Even though the links are ugly and sometimes empty, it does not appear to have that much negative impact. Google seems to ignore it and that’s what I prefer them to do. Once again, I strongly believe in presenting the content I want indexed in a prominent fashion on the site itself (using the saved links). One of the saved links I use is newest listings. Every listing enters the market as a new listing so that’s a no brainer way of getting google and website visitors to the fresh stuff. I look forward to more frequent data updates rolling out as I am convinced speed matters when it comes to IDX content and SERP.

• IDX Leads
      Participant

Brian, I ran across this recently published entry in the kb.

http://support.idxbroker.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2356544-seo-for-photo-gallery

Apparently I missed the announcement so pardon me if this old news.

• Nick Leech
      Keymaster

All New Features can be found via this link: http://support.idxbroker.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1951326-new-features?b_id=10433

I will try to close out or update the forum ER post as new features are added that were requested in the forums.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.