Build with IDX Broker Forums IDX Broker Control Panel Mapquest Replacement

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Is there any way to replace the Mapquest which has been out of style and behind on the times for about 5 years now? The client dislikes it very much and is insisting on another solution if we have to keep it. It looks horrible on mobile devices and the search controls can’t be used as they run off the screen. Replacing it with Google Maps as most providers are using with a control box above it would be perfect, as that is what the client is seeing on their competitions’ sites.

0 ratings, 0 votes0 ratings, 0 votes (0 rating, 0 votes, rated)
      You need to be a registered member to rate this post.
    • idxbroker
      Keymaster

IDX Broker used to use google maps, however mapquest offered development opportunities Google could not. At this time there is no plan to move to another mapping platform. The maps can be styled, icons changed, etc.. As for running off the screen can you provide an example?

Has anyone else had a client want leave over the maps being mapquest?

• Jacquie Gonzalez
      Participant

http://wvw.century21broadhurst.com/idx/map/mapsearch

View it on a phone at minimum max-width. To be exact it stops being responsive at about 675px when it starts overlapping the inherit box it resides in.

Here’s one the customer is comparing it with, their competition of course. http://www.c21theharrelsongroup.com/map_search/results/28qa/#/?city=Myrtle%20Beach They want the google street view, responsiveness, gps, get directions, balloons, etc etc. I guess now google is the one offering the better opportunities. They now have polygon too.

Wouldn’t it have been better and more marketable to offer a choice between mapquest or google?

• idxbroker
      Keymaster

For http://wvw.century21broadhurst.com/idx/map/mapsearch you just need to set the min-widths lower. Then the map responds.

Street view can be added I have seen it in a details pages sidebar. It’s just some javascript google gives and adding the lat and long to the page and mapquest can be styled to use the same pins in your example.

Google maps are great and I totally get a personal preference for goog. I am a fan of their products. Still I would love to hear if anyone else had a client want leave over the maps being mapquest?

The other issue is with the amount of traffic IDX Broker does, google would probably charge and that could affect pricing. Google goes from free to expensive pretty quickly with their products.

• Jacquie Gonzalez
      Participant

You have a good point on the cost over a certain amount of views. Would need to somehow make it so that it is only an option if the customer cname domain is set. That way the views go against that domain and not idxbroker.com.

I’m interested in the consensus too. I don’t see a lot of people visiting this section of the forums though. Maybe post it in a more populated area?

• true
      Participant

Street view can be used with WalkScore enabled on details pages. The WalkScore feature uses only Google Maps. Like Antonio mentioned, I have seen someone use javascript on the details pages and display street view and also regular map on the sidebar of details pages. It was pretty slick.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.