Build with IDX Broker Forums General Discussion Search Bar question

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have a client who is asking for a custom search bar (image attached) but I don’t see any options like this in IDX Broker. Has anyone custom developed something like this using IDX Broker? If so, I’d like to get my hands on it. Thanks.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      1 rating, 1 vote1 rating, 1 vote (+1 rating, 1 votes, rated)
      You need to be a registered member to rate this post.
    • idxbroker
      Keymaster

IDX Broker does not offer a omni bar style search. I have seen custom searches like this. It’s mostly just javascript or JQuery logic to prepare the search.

• idxbroker
      Keymaster

Here is a little side repo on github that might help get you started: https://github.com/antonioortegajr/IDX-Broker-Omnibar

Be SURE to read the read me file. First thing it says is NOT supported in any way at all by IDX Broker.

It’s on github, so fork it, make pull requests, have all the github fun!

• Brandon Farber
        Participant

I just cloned the repo and am looking at it now. Out of curiosity, what prompted you to not use (or back out, based on the commit messages) jQuery?

Are you interested in pull requests? I see last commit was over a year ago so I don’t want to bother pushing any changes if the repo is sort of dead. It looks like a good base (or at least has inspired me) for my needs at the very least, so thanks.

This feels like a glaring omission by IDX Broker with the default widgets in any event, and is something I think should be available out of the box (and not just with the WordPress plugin).

• idxbroker
        Keymaster

Pulls welcome.

I don’t really remember why I did anything or not. I often shy away from JQuery if I don’t need it. I like vanilla JS and hate conflicts. I wrote that with any site in mind, so I wasn’t going to rely on a site having JQuery already loaded.

I am very happy to hear it has helped. Yay open source fun!!

• idxbroker
      Keymaster

Update: This kind of search is available via the IDX Broker WordPress Plugin.

• Jennifer Sanderson
      Participant

Is anyone else having trouble with the omni bar (WP widget) not working well for address searches? If you type in the address exactly how it is listed, it works, but if you type in just the street name, you get 0 results.

• idxforge
      Participant

I have an Omni bar product that has some advanced logic to sort out addresses from cities from advanced fields like subdivision or school district. it will accurately search for addresses even if they only enter in part of the address. if you’d like more info about it let me know ren@idxforge.com

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.